Thursday, February 5, 2009

Best Birthday Gift

This is Susan and I am doing well in Ukraine! Today is Karen and my birthday and I received the best gifts:2 amazing children that I will be able to pick up for good tomorrow and Saturday and some lovely notes from the children at the orphanage. Daron and my kids at home called while I was enjoying some tea and cake that our host bought in honor of my birthday. Jamie, I and our children are well taken care of by the staff at our lovely hotel. On the night the guys headed home to the states, Jamie and I were a little sad. We came home to an amazing meal, some special chocolate and a comfy place on the couch. They made us feel a little better.

P is getting anxious to leave. We get to be together every day for about two hours and then a little more on the weekends. Everyday it gets harder and harder to head back to school; but after Saturday morning, he should be able to stay with me which will make us all happy.

Jamie is giving everyone new hairstyles here including our facilitator who now looks like a whole new person. P was especially proud of his haircut and spent a long time primping in the mirror afterward.
He wrote me a note in school the other day that when translated expresses his gratitude over having a family and a new life. Sometimes these long waits are difficult, but the unique bonding time we have has is irreplaceable.

I'm enjoying getting to know some of the other kids at the school too. They call out my name when I walk on campus. Several of them have congratulated us over P and they seem to be genuinely happy for him. There are some great kids here, I wish we had enough room to take them all home. There is one boy who like to give a shopping list to our driver every day. It started with gum, then chocolate, and is now up to soccer shoes :-).

Friday morning I'm heading back to see Z who is four hours away. Hopefully this will be the last round of paperwork in this town and we might be able to bring her back to the hotel with us. It would be great to have a few days to get to know each other better before we travel home. If all goes well, we could be traveling home next Thurs.

1 comment:

CamachoX6 said...

I am so glad to hear that you are doing well. Tomorrow is the big day, they are YOURS!!!! I will be praying for you, as excited as you are I also know it will be hard for you to say goodbye to the Ochakiv Children. Please give Sasha one last hug and kiss from us:) We are continuing to keep you in our prayers and are looking forward to the blog that reads "we are HOME"

Blessings!
Deanna